maandag 28 januari 2013

Banjoworkshop in the Netherlands

Last saturday a bunch of enthusiastic players gathered for a banjoworkshop. One of the primary goals was to let the students work instead of watching me talking all the time... I’ve seen a lot of workshops with students listening to the ‘teacher’ during the entire time, with their banjo’s on their knees. This is not my idea of a workshop!
A year ago I met Jens Kruger in Solingen, Germany. He gave a workshop and he put the ‘work’ in the ‘shop’ (literally, because the workshop took place in a musicshop). He showed me how it’s done: creating a balance between practicing and listening.
The students did some metronome excercises and learned how the find the G-scale (and other scales) on the fretboard with a simple formula. In the afternoon my friends from the Big Americana Band (in which I play) joined us. The students had the opportunity the play with a live band and they loved it!

On the picture, standing from left to right: Timo Salman, Sibren Kamstra, Theo Worm, Marleen Dillen, André van de Beek and Henk Talen. Sitting: me, Loud Hafkenscheid and Jaak Dillen.


 





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten